Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Introduction: What do YOU think is Geography?

Many a times, when the word, "Geography" comes into mind, I think quite instantly, people would associate it with having the knowledge of countries around the world. Or I guess, the skill of reading of maps would come into mind. So in one of my class I showed this cartoon, "Yakko's World" from Animaniacs (1990s) to test if most of my students agree that Geography is about knowing the countries of the world.


Initially, I wanted to show another video, about a 2 year old girl that shows that she is really good with the world map! Amazing! But the clip is like 8 minutes so kind of long, so showed Yakko's World instead. So shall show the other video here instead.


So what do I think is Geography?

Since Secondary One to up to my varsity days, teachers and lecturers alike have always mentioned that the word "Geography" came from the Ancient Greeks and they married the root word "ge" for earth and "grapho" for "to write" to form what we know as "Geography" today. Rightly so, Geography to me is indeed about writing about the Earth BUT not only about countries around the world.

More importantly, Geography I feel is one subject that enables us to find answers to questions about the world around us-about where things are and how and why they got there and the heart of all things that make this world that we call home tick is about the relationship(s) between humans and this world. =)




No comments:

Post a Comment